Southern cabbage made with smoked turkey meat is a quick and super delicious side dish or main meal. Full of tender and juicy cabbage, onions, plump pieces of turkey meat, bell peppers, and garlic. Doesn’t that sound good?
This southern cabbage has soul, and it’s not scared to express its honey! You just can’t go wrong with cooking cabbage in smoked turkey meat. It simply adds taste and juiciness to every bite.
What if I told you it was simple to make, Guess what? we have a complete recipe for actual soul food-style on how to cook cabbage with smoke meat which is made in the slow cooker. Well, we are going to show you how to make some real-deal southern cabbage with just a few simple steps.
Come along with me; let’s learn how to cook cabbage with smoke meat.
How to Cook Cabbage with Smoke Meat
- 1 large head of cabbage
- Green pepper
- 3 whole balls of peppers
- 2 jalapeno pepper (if you like spicy food)
- 1 pk of lepton onions soup mix depending on the quantity of the cabbage
- Two onions head
- A pk of bacon
- 1 fully cooked Smoked turkey laps (or any other type of smoke meat)
- ½tbs of garlic, minced (can add more if desired)
- 1tbs of butter
- 1tbs of salt
How to Prepare the Cabbage Head
Grab your large head of cabbage and cut it right down the middle so that you have two halves. After that, cut the core out from the bottom while the cabbage head is cut into halves, and the side of the cabbage is cut from the top to down.
Next, cut a slit in the top of the core. The cuts should be profound but not penetrate through the other side of the cabbage. Your hands to pull the core out.
Lay the cabbage flat on the cutting board, and slice it into bite-size pieces. How you cut the cabbage is not extremely important; just cut it to the desired size. Add cabbage into a strainer a little at a time, and rinse with cold water. Once done, add cabbage into a large bowl and set aside.
Now you are done with your cabbage, and it is time for another ingredient,
- Start by cutting up your onions
- slice your green pepper
- slice your jalapeno pepper to make it spicier
- cut your bacon to desired sizes (it adds a delicious taste to your cabbage)
Direction on How to Cook Cabbage With smoke meat(using smoked turkey laps)
After preparation, the first thing to do is to cook your smoke turkey.
1. Add 3cups of water into a pot and let it come to a simmer. Add your turkey laps and cook until it is tender. Then get it out and cut it into pieces but remember to take out the bones.
2. Get another pot, put it on the stove, and heat it with butter.
3. Add your bacon and allow to cook for 3 minutes; add your sliced onions, stir and cook for extra 5 minutes.
4. Take out the onions and bacon from the pot into a plate, then it is time to add your cabbage into the pot and toss. However, if your cabbage did not enter well, don’t worry because you will also add it halfway.
5. Add your cooked bacon and onions, add your green pepper, add your jalapeno pepper, and stir.
6. Add the second amount of cabbage into the pot. Fill the pot almost to the top with the cabbage. Stir and cover the pot with a lid. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until cabbage has cooked down, stirring occasionally.
7. Add salt, smoked turkey meat, water, and garlic. Stir very well and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add the third and final amount of cabbage into the pot. Stir and cover the pot with a lid. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until cabbage is cooked, stirring occasionally.
8. Add your lepton onion soup mix, toss your turkey meat and cook for another 15 minutes while occasionally stirring to prevent burning. Then your cabbage is ready to be served with rice or cornbread.
Frequent Asked Question
Can You Reheat Cooked Cabbage?
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days, but they will lose their crispness the longer they are in the fridge. Warm up in the microwave or a small pot with a little water on low.
How Do You Know When Cabbage Is Done Cooking?
When added to a big saucepan of salted, boiling water, shredded cabbage takes 12 to 15 minutes to boil. Taste the leaves to determine when the cabbage is finished boiling. It’s done when it tastes extremely tender. Don’t overcook the food.
Can You Freeze Cooked Cabbage?
Sure, you can freeze cooked cabbage. Its dense texture stays intact during freezing, and the flavor is unaffected. Cooked cabbage works well in a variety of dishes, including soups, stews, and sautéed cabbage in butter.
How Long Can You Freeze Cooked Cabbage?
How long do leftovers last? According to the FDA Food Code, all perishable foods opened or prepared should be thrown out after seven days. Some foods should even be thrown away before the 7-day mark. No portions should survive in your fridge for longer than that.
Can You Overcook Cabbage?
Cabbage should be cooked for 10-15minutes; it should be cooked until just tender. Overcooking will produce limp, pasty cabbage and a very unpleasant smell.
Cabbage has been a staple in many households for centuries. We enjoy it as a side dish or sometimes as a main meal. It is one of our absolute favorite dishes to make. With the addition of smoked turkey meat, it is hearty enough to be a stand-alone meal.
Besides the smoked meat, you can also use garlic, onions, and bell pepper to flavor my southern cabbage. We must be honest with you; this is a straightforward cabbage recipe. Since we use smoked turkey packed with flavor, we don’t need to add a lot to seasoning this cabbage dish. It’s not time-consuming.
Hope you have gather a lot in this article on how to cook cabbage with smoke meat, why not give it a try, and let us know how it comes out.